Data governance software provides organizations with the tools and frameworks necessary to manage their data assets effectively. These solutions are designed to ensure the accessibility, quality, and security of data across multiple systems and processes, while enabling the enforcement of standard rules, policies, and procedures for data handling. By implementing data governance software, organizations can enhance decision-making, achieve compliance requirements, minimize risks, and optimize their data-driven strategies.
Key components of a comprehensive data governance platform include data quality management, data cataloguing, policy management, data lineage and traceability, role-based access control, data integration, and automation capabilities. The right solution can streamline and simplify the management of an organization’s structured and unstructured data, resulting in improved efficiency and the strategic use of data as a practical advantage.
The data governance software market has become increasingly competitive, with numerous providers offering various features, capabilities, and approaches to the challenges of effectively managing data assets. To help you find the best fit for your organization, we’ve conducted in-depth analysis of data governance platforms in the market, focusing on their ease of use, integration capabilities, support, and customer feedback.
Everything You Need To Know About Data Governance Software (FAQs)
What Is Data Governance Software?
Data governance software solutions deliver a range of features that allows organizations to better manage and control their data. This had very practical security and privacy uses, as well as ensuring that you can get the most business use out of your data.
Data governance solutions will present you with a centralized dashboard which enables you to understand which users have access to which data areas. This enhanced visibility not only improves security but improves productivity too. It is easy to give data access to the users who need it, rather than having a convoluted and intensive process.
This type of platform also improves the quality of data validation through being able to effectively deploy cleansing and enrichment capabilities. This ensures that you can trust your data and that it adds value to your organization.
How Does Data Governance Software Work?
Data governance software works by discovering and indexing your data from databases and sources across your network. This data can then be categorised and classified in accordance with predefined policies and rules. This helps to define where the data is from, who is able to access and use it, and the security measures that ought to be applied to it. This classification can also monitor metadata, giving contextual and additional information to enhance your data governance strategies.
With data compiled through a centralized dashboard, a data governance platform can assess the quality of data. This ensures that it is comprehensive and accurate, indicating that it is able to provide accurate and productive insights. The platform may carry out data profiling, cleansing, and enrichment to ensure you get as much from your data as possible.
Throughout the data lifecycle, these platforms will allow you to enforce data governance policies and rules across your data. This ensures that you can remain aligned with compliance and regulatory frameworks. It can also deliver reports based off of ongoing data monitoring, allowing you accurate and useful insights.
What Features Should You Look For In Data Governance Software?
When selecting a data governance solution, there can be many different features to choose from. In this section we’ll highlight the key features that you should look for in an effective and practical data governance solution.
- Security – As these platforms gather and assess your data, they could be a very attractive target for attackers. In order to ensure that attackers cannot access your data, your platform should have a series of robust security measures in place. This features should be customizable to your specifications, as well as adhering to governance and compliance specifications such as GDPR, PII, and CCPA.
- Data Discovery – You can reduce the amount of human workload through automating the data discovery process. This allows you to focus on other issues, whilst ensuring that your data is being effectively gathered and processed.
- Accessibility – There are two aspects to this feature. Your platform should enforce strict data access rules, preventing unauthorized users from accessing data they have no right to view. Equally, certain privileged users should be able to share data relatively easily with users on a case-by-case basis.
- Data Quality Assurance – A good platform will have a range of features that allow it to assess and enhance the quality of your data. This ensures that your data set is accurate and comprehensive, ensuring you can use it as a trusted source for other business needs.
- Integration – You need your data governance platform to integrate with all the data sources that your organization uses (and may use in the future). This includes other data management systems, data warehouses, and data lakes. You may need to use APIs to integrate with some additional tools and platforms.