Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) software streamlines the process of handling and responding to data access requests under data privacy regulations, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) in the United States. DSAR tools automate various steps in the data request process, such as request verification, identity confirmation, data discovery, and response generation, which ultimately reduces the workload and costs associated with manual request handling.
With the increased focus on data privacy and protection, organizations need to have the right tools and systems in place to manage and maintain compliance with different privacy regulations. Efficiently handling DSARs is a critical aspect of this process, as they allow individuals to access, correct, or erase their personal data. Therefore, organizations would be wise to incorporate seamlessly integrated DSAR software into their data protection and privacy strategies.
There are many DSAR software solutions available in the market, each with their own unique features and advantages. In this guide, we will explore the top 7 DSAR software solutions, focusing on their key capabilities and market presence. Our analysis is based on a combination of technical testing, customer reviews, and industry expert opinions.
Everything You Need To Know About Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) Software (FAQs)
What is ‘Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) Software’?
A data subject request (DSAR) is a formal inquiry made by a data subject to a company requesting details on any of their personal information that has been collected, stored, and used. Anyone who is a data subject can submit one of these requests, and organizations are obligated to respond.
Data subject access request (DSAR) software are tools that support organizations in their efforts to comply with requests from users to access, alter, or delete information of theirs that has been stored, in accordance with the rules set out by CCPA and GDPR amongst other privacy regulations.
DSAR tools are used to make sure that requests are fulfilled within the mandated timeframe. These solutions work by providing organizations with an automated and structured process to handle any requests from individuals to access their personal data. DSAR Software is often administrated by legal teams of privacy officers, alongside any security and IT teams in place at the organizations.
Why Is Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) Software Important?
Compliance with certain regulations – such as GDPR, CCPA, and WPA – is not optional, it is a requirement that companies and organizations are obligated to adhere to. Failure to comply can lead to hefty fines, so organizations are incentivized to put compliance high up on their list of priorities. For organizations, efficient and accurate fulfillment of data subject access requests is also important for brand credibility and customer trust.
However, manually fulfilling each DSAR can be costly and time consuming, since this process requires data gathering across various systems and bringing them together in one location, then going through records and compiling the information into a comprehensive report. This is where data subject access request software can be useful, as these solutions can saves time and cost via automation. These tools create a more streamlined and efficient approach to DSAR processes.
What Features Should You Look For In ‘Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) Software’?
Data subject access request solutions may differ in their feature offerings depending on their provider, but some core capabilities you should expect include the following:
- Verification of identity. As the information being managed is often highly sensitive it is important that access to it is never granted to the wrong individuals, either knowingly or by mistake. DSAR software should provide ways of properly verifying the identity of the requester to ensure that no unauthorized persons are granted access to personal data.
- Submitting requests. Requesters need to have an easy way to submit their data access requests, which DSAR solutions typically facilitate by providing an online portal which allows requesters to enter in their personal information and specify the nature of their request, entirely privately.
- Retrieval and validation of data. When the data that has been requested needs to be retrieved this should happen quickly, or requesters may get frustrated and feel like transparency is lacking. Good DSAR software should assist in the searching for and retrieving of personal data, which it may do by scanning through various systems, databases, and repositories where this personal data is stored. This software should also be capable of validating the accuracy and completeness of the requested data, to ensure that the information the requestor is provided with is reliable.
- Automated workflows. Data subject access request software will typically fully automate the workflows for processing DSARs. This includes assigning tasks to responsible individuals, setting deadlines, and keeping track of each request and its progress. With automated workflows in place organizations can feel more assured that requests are being handled promptly and in accordance with regulatory timelines.
- Documentation and audit trails. A good DSAR software solution should provide ways of maintaining detailed documentation and audit trails for every DSAR that is submitted. This should include information on the time of the request, what response was taken, and when and how the requestor was presented with the data they asked for. Audit trails are crucial for demonstrating compliance and transparency, which makes them very important for any organization, particularly those in highly regulated industries.
- Analytics and reporting. The capability to generate reports based on analytics is an important feature for DSAR software to provide. These reports should include information on a number of key metrics, including the volume and nature of the DSARs and the response times. These reports are useful in helping organizations to monitor their compliance with data protection regulation, as well as measure the efficiency of their DSAR processes.