Container management solutions have become vital in ensuring that containers are deployed, orchestrated, and managed effectively. With containers being created so quickly, ensuring that all of the are fully managed and accounted for can quickly get out of hand. For businesses looking to optimize their microservice architectures or streamline application delivery, the right container management solution can be the linchpin of success.
Containers offer a lightweight, efficient, and consistent environment for building and running applications, making them ideal for modern DevOps practices and continuous delivery. However, as the scale and complexity of containerized applications grow, so does the need for comprehensive management tools. This is where container management solutions come into play. These solutions provide capabilities such as container creation, virtual network management, application management and role-based controls to ensure optimal performance and resource utilization.
With such a wide range of container management solutions available on the market today – each offering its own feature set and promising various capabilities – trying to select the right one can be overwhelming. To simplify this process, we have researched and curated a list of the top container management solutions. In this guide, we’ll delve into their core features and offer some background on each vendor, providing a comprehensive view to aid in your decision-making process.
Everything You Need To Know About Container Management Solutions (FAQs)
What Are Container Management Solutions?
Container management is the process of organizing, adding, or replacing large volumes of software containers, which are packages of software containing all of the elements necessary to run in any environment. Developers use containers to launch, test, and secure the applications they develop in a resource-independent environment. Containers provide a flexible, portable platform upon which applications can be built, organized, and distributed.
Container management solutions are software tools that deploy, scale, orchestrate, monitor, and manage containerized applications. This is achieved by providing the infrastructure and automation required to manage containerized applications at scale. Because of this, container management solutions allow developers and operators to deploy and manage applications efficiently, reliably, and securely via one unified platform.
What Are The Benefits Of Container Management?
Containers are a lightweight form of virtualization that compartmentalize an application and its dependencies into a singular portable unit. Container management solutions streamline the process of managing containers, simplifying the task of deploying and managing applications in a way that does not negatively impact them.
It’s easy to dismiss container management software as being just a simple interface for the container environments, but there is more to these solutions than that. A good container management solution works by pulling together all the various resources available for use within the container environments, making those resources more easily accessible.
Because of this, there are a number of benefits to employing an effective container management solution, including:
- Hosting setups are simplified. Container management solutions include security tools, storage, schedulers, and monitoring systems, all of which help to drastically reduce the complexity of the hosting setup.
- Simpler administration processes. A good container management solution should provide a way for IT teams and administrators to easily keep up with their containerized environments, alongside decreasing the resources and time required to DevOps processes.
- Automated processes. Container management solutions automate a variety of important processes, from load balancing to orchestration. This is great for saving time, maintaining consistency, and ensuring compliance.
- Health checks. Many good container management solutions provide continual health checks to quickly identify any network failures or misconfigurations.
What Features Should You Look For In A Container Management Solution?
Here are the top features that you should look for in a container management solution:
- Container Creation. This is perhaps the most basic function of these solutions, alongside performing auxiliary functions like starting, stopping, and deleting the containers you create. Container management tools simplify and streamline the process of creating new containers.
- Virtual Network Management. The way containers are designed means they act as self-contained, sandboxed environments, which means that if two containers have to communicate, you will need to establish a network path between them. Container management solutions significantly simplify container networking by enabling users to create a new network at the click of a button.
- Application Management. You may make use of application templates in your virtual server environment, as a tool for deploying virtualized application servers. Containers also use application templates, with many container application templates readily available for download, so a good container management solution should make the process of assembling your collection of application templates easier and more streamlined.
- Role-Based Access Control. This is a common and useful feature that facilitates the granting of limited permissions to certain users, ensuring that only those who actually need it are awarded high levels of access. Different container management solutions will approach permissions differently, so it is good practice to look into how this feature is handled before selecting it as a solution.