Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications have become indispensable tools for many businesses, allowing them to streamline and improve their capability and feature set. These solutions offer agility, scalability, and flexibility, but can easily become the targets of cyber-attacks. As these solutions are managed by a third-party, ensuring they are secured becomes a complex challenge. SaaS Security Posture Management (SSPM) solutions are at the forefront of addressing this need. They offer tools to monitor, manage, and enhance the security posture of SaaS applications, thereby ensuring that your organization remains secure.
SSPM solutions provide a centralized overview of an organization’s SaaS application environment, helping to identify misconfigurations, enforce security policies, and manage access controls. By continuously evaluating and auditing the configurations and settings of SaaS applications, these platforms can ensure that security standards are always met and maintained.
In this article, we’ve put together a list of the top SSPM solutions on the market today. In each instance, we’ll identify a solution’s key features and their ideal use cases to help you decide on the tool that best suits your needs.
Everything You Need To Know About SaaS Security Posture Management (SSPM) Solutions (FAQs)
What Are SaaS Security Posture Management (SSPM) Solutions?
There are hundreds and thousands of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications that companies can use in order to streamline data management and other workflow processes. SaaS applications provide integration capabilities as well as scaling easily as part of a growing organization. They are easy to use and typically help to lower overall costs, which makes them an attractive alternative to on-premises solutions. However, as with all cyber offerings there is a risk that SaaS applications may become a target for malicious attacks. Ensuring that you solution can withstand these attacks is on the principal purpose of SaaS security posture management solutions.
A SaaS security posture management solution is an automated security tool designed to monitor security risks in Software-as-a-Service applications. They aim to strengthen an organizations overall security posture by implementing technology and automating processes that will grant users full visibility into the ongoing security status of each asset.
How Do SaaS Security Posture Management (SSPM) Solutions Work?
At their core SSPM solutions monitor activities and events within SaaS solutions to understand their security posture. This allows organizations to:
- Help manage and control user access
- Maintain necessary compliance with industry regulations
- Identify potential vulnerabilities and threats (both internal and external)
- Take proactive steps towards reducing security risk
An SSPM solution will support you in identifying these threats that may cause harm to your business. In addition to this, they will help to ensure you meet SaaS security standards even when errors occur.
What Features Should You Look For In SaaS Security Posture Management (SSPM) Solutions?
- 24/7 Monitoring. A good SaaS security posture management solution will monitor SaaS applications around the clock to ensure they are configured correctly. They will also monitor privacy and security rules automatically, thereby ensuring that security management is as simple as possible.
- Security Posture Control. These solutions are programmed to run regular security checks in accordance with industry benchmarks and standards, ensuring compliance is maintained and providing threat data and application control. They also often offer risk assessment and scoring, with a risk dashboard to explain prioritized security efforts.
- Prevent User Misconfigurations. SSPM solutions will enable you to manage configuration drifts within your SaaS environments. This means that you solutions will continue operating as you set them up, without the need to reconfigure or realign them.
- Manage compliance. Compliance is critical to SaaS usage but can be overlooked by organizations who become overwhelmed by the sheer volume of applications being used daily. Simplifying compliance is a key benefit of SaaS security posture management solutions. These platforms can automatically notify administrators and security teams of instances where compliance requirements fail to be met.
- Adaption. Transitioning from one SaaS solution to another (or migrating to a different platform) can leave you vulnerable to oversight and attacks. SSPM solutions will ensure that new platforms are effectively onboarded, meaning that you are always protected and that your security is never compromised.