Back in 2012, Apple dropped their marketing line “Macs don’t get viruses”, a clear indication of what we already know to be true – cyberattacks can affect any user on any device, including Apple Macs. While macOS does offer a robust set of built-in security features, it’s essential that businesses implement additional layers of security to protect their users against unknown and zero-day threats, such as sophisticated forms of malware and ransomware. That’s where Mac antivirus comes in. Mac antivirus solutions are specialized software solutions designed to detect, prevent, and remove malware and other threats on Apple devices.
A comprehensive Mac antivirus solution does more than just scan for known viruses. It offers real-time protection against unknown and zero-day malware, phishing attacks, ransomware, and potentially harmful websites. With the growing integration of macOS with other Apple platforms like iOS and iPadOS, the best antivirus solutions also provide cross-device protection, ensuring that all entry points are safeguarded.
With such a large market of solutions to consider, it can be daunting for organizations to try to find the best solution for their Mac users. To make the search a bit more straightforward, we have put together a list of the top Mac antivirus solutions; this includes a background on each provider alongside a summary of their product’s key features.
Everything You Need To Know About Mac Antivirus Solutions (FAQs)
What Is A Mac Antivirus Solution?
Antivirus software protects computers and other electronic devices from viruses and malware. A Mac antivirus solution specifically offers comprehensive protection for Apple Macintosh computers, including MacBooks, iMacs, Mac Minis, etc. These solutions aim to block a variety of malicious threats including viruses, malware, adware, and spyware, providing an additional layer of defense for Mac systems to ensure their safety and security.
Using a Mac antivirus solution is a good way to proactively enhance the security of your organization’s valuable Apple devices. Some key reasons to consider employing one of these solutions include:
- Better protection
- Multilayered defense
- Safe browsing
- Proactive security
- Peace of mind
Why Do You Need A Mac Antivirus Solution?
Macs have their own built-in capabilities – such as System Integrity Protection, Executive Disable, and Address Space Layout Randomization – that work to prevent malicious software and viruses from accessing critical files. These features work in the background and have been available on the last few versions of macOS. However, these built-in security features – while useful – are not quite enough to comprehensively guard against malware, especially unknown and zero-day threats. To fully protect your users’ devices and the corporate data stored on those devices, it is best to combine these built-in protections with an additional Mac antivirus solution.
While Macs are generally considered less susceptible to malware than Windows PCs, they are far from immune. Macs have become increasingly popular over the years, which inevitably has led to them becoming more frequently targeted by cyber criminals. A strong Mac antivirus solution can help by enhancing the security posture of the Macs in your device fleet, leading to more well-rounded protection for your organization’s data.
What Features Should You Look For In A Mac Antivirus Solution?
There are a few key features that you should look for in a strong Mac antivirus solution. These include:
- Scanning. A good antivirus solution for Mac will be able to run scans upon request, schedule scans, and be able to continually monitor files and processes in real-time to detect, and block any malicious activity.
- Database. It is important that the antivirus database be regularly updated to include new virus definitions and security signatures, so that any emerging threats won’t be missed and can be protected against.
- Vulnerability And Malware Detection. Viruses often find their way into the system by exploiting program vulnerabilities, so a good Mac antivirus solution should be capable of detecting weak points and giving updates on potential security flaws. The solution should be able to scan for known malware signatures and behaviors, and use this information to detect and remove any malicious files or applications it uncovers.
- Phishing And Ransomware Protection. Any solution you consider should be able to protect against these two major threats by offering features that prevent users from accessing phishing websites or clicking on malicious links.
- Adware And Spyware Detection. A good antivirus solution for Mac should have the ability to identify and eliminate any unwanted adware or spyware that might manage to sneak onto your users’ machines. This will help prevent user privacy or regulatory compliance measures from being compromised.
- Easy To Use. A hallmark of a good Mac antivirus solution is that it is easy to navigate, easy to integrate, and has minimal impact on system performance.